Updated: Mar 14, 2020
Prevent spreading the virus to others
1. Preventative precautions are the most important thing to prevent the spread of COVID19. However in the event that you become infected, here are ways to prevent spreading the virus to others. Please note that someone can be contagious without symptoms or knowing they are infectious. There are several ways that the virus spreads.
2. The absolutely FIRST thing you need to do if you believe you have been in contact with COVID19, is to call a medical professional right away. Follow all instructions closely. If you are going to a hospital DO NOT walk through the main entrance. Go to the Emergency Room entrance and inform the receptionist right away.
3. Fecal matter. The virus can be transmitted when a person uses the bathroom and does not wash their hands. They then go on to touch objects and the virus spreads. ALWAYS wash hands after using the bathroom. Make sure you are using proper hand washing procedure. Wet hands, scrub 30 seconds minimum and rinse in hot water from the fingertips down.
4. Droplet spray. The virus can be spread as much as 2 meters away from an uncovered cough or sneeze. The best thing to do is wear a surgical mask if sick, to keep from spraying the virus all over people and surfaces. If no mask is available cover your mouth and nose with the inside of your elbow instead of with your hands, which can then go on to contaminate surfaces. If a cloth or tissue is used, do not dispose of it in public. Place used tissues into a Ziplock bag, seal it, and dispose of it at home.
5. Direct contact. If you suspect that you have been exposed to COVID19 avoid close contact with others. Inform a healthcare professional and self isolate. DO NOT kiss, hug or engage in any kind of intimate contact if you think you have been exposed.
6. Surface contact. (Fomites) If you suspect that you have come in contact with the virus, avoid touching ANYTHING as much as possible. COVID19 can live on surfaces for up to 9 days! If you absolutely have to touch something outside your home, wash hands using proper procedure followed by an alcohol based hand sanitizer before hand. If you touch your face or get bodily fluids on your hands, immediately use hand sanitizer, find the nearest washing station and wash hands again.
7. Airborne (potentially) If you believe that you have come in contact with COVID19 make sure to shut off any heating or air in your home that is shared with others. It may be possible to spread the virus through the vents. If in a single family home, shut off central air and self isolate in a designated room. If you live in an apartment building, contact your landlord or building manager immediately and explain the situation. Make sure they understand the risk and have them shut down the central air system as soon as possible.
The single greatest weapon against Covid19 YOU. By working together everyday citizens can stop the spread and help contain the virus. But it only works if EVERYONE takes the proper precautions NOW. The virus moves fast, we need to move faster. Help spread the word to as many people as you can. Let’s end COVID19!